Security jobs in your ZIP code
Office building security has unique challenges associated with big and tall environments and large number of incumbents.
Security guards, also called security officers, protect property, enforce laws on the property, deter criminal activity, and deal with other problems. Some guards are assigned a stationary position from which they may monitor alarms or surveillance cameras.
Other guards may be assigned a patrol area where they conduct security checks. Guards must remain alert, looking for anything out of the ordinary throughout their shift. In an emergency, guards may call for assistance from police, fire, or ambulance services. Some security guards may be armed.
A security guard’s job responsibilities vary from one employer to another. In retail stores, guards protect people, records, merchandise, money, and equipment. In stores, they may also work with undercover store detectives to prevent theft by customers or employees. They are responsible for detaining shoplifting suspects until the police arrive. The following are the major tasks of a Security Guard or Security Officer who is protecting an Office Building:
Responsibilities of an Office Security Guard
- Receive newspapers when they are delivered.
- Check badges to ensure that only authorized personnel gain access to premises.
- Record visitors in the log book when they get in and get out.
- Attend the incoming phone calls and route the calls to appropriate persons.
- Receive the incoming mails, route them from and to the mail man.
- Check the designated entry ways and doors.
- Lock and unlock doors and entryways as per the building security plan.
- Protect the day to day operation of the business by preventing security related factors that can cause business interruption.
- Guard against vehicle break-ins and personal attacks.
- Patrol outside areas including parking lots as well as less trafficked locations.
- Protect the office building from vandalism and break-ins, and maintain employee and vehicle safety.
- Perform security rounds inside key areas of the building.
- Write detailed reports outlining what they observed while on their round.
- Monitor alarma, surveillance TV cameras covering common areas and strategic locations.
- Enforce the security rules which are established in the building security plan.
- Contact law enforcement the in the case of suspicious activities, threats, intrusions, security system alerts and robbery.
- Respond to emergencies (medical and other) by calling emergency responders such as, ambulance service, fire department or law enforcement.
Salary of Office Building Security Officer
Salary varies widely depending on the location and the company you are hired for. On an average your salary will wary between $31,315.00 to $40,706.00 per year.